Our favorite meal of the day is breakfast! YAY! We also like pancakes for lunch or dinner (aka brinner). My mum used to make me pancakes when I was kiddo, so it brings me beautiful memories when I eat them.
I have made a vegan version. Although I am still vegetarian I think soya, coconut & almond milk are more fun to use while cooking and don’t forget they are cruelty free… so we don’t see the point in using diary!
These pancakes are the best, so fluffy, moist and sweet with a sutil touch of coconut, I haven’t added any sweetener in the batter. Coconut milk is a must for me, It’s always in my cupboard. You won’t notice they are vegan and super healthy.
We use flax egg*: 1 Tbsp ground Flaxseeds + 3 Tbsp water. *An egg substitute in baking. You can use 1 ripe banana instead if you don’t have flaxseeds. Flaxseeds are a great replacement, full of Omega 3 essential fatty acids, antioxidants and fiber.
These homemade oat pancakes are wholegrain, easy and super satisfying, that it’s all you need to be happy. No excuses to not make them!
ULTIMATE OAT VEGAN PANCAKES
Time: Ready in less than 20 minutes. Serves: 2 people.
- 1 cup rolled oats.
- 1 cup wholemeal flour.
- 1 +1/2 cups plant based milk (I use coconut & rice milk)
- 1 tsp baking soda.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 3 tbsp water (to make the flax egg*)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil and some more to grease the frying pan.
Important: don’t forget natural sweeteners, I use maple syrup & loads of fruits to put on top.
- Make a flax egg*.
- Add in a large mixing bowl the dry ingredients: Rolled oats, wholemeal flour and baking soda and whisk again.
- Then add your plant based milk, the flax egg and finally the coconut oil and stir until combine.
- Heat a large non-sticking fry pan and grease it with some coconut oil. Put the batter on medium heat. Make your AWESOME PANCAKES!!!! There should be 6 or 7 pancakes. Flip them when bubbles appear.
- Top with your favorite fresh fruit, maple syup & nuts of your choice.
The best part is to eat them all 😀
Irene & Lydia.
Berry Bites Blog.